Helen Davey has had a career as a musician, playwright and song-writer in poetic world/folk, jazz & experimental genres. Her passion is 'sound-paintings' or 'soundies' where she creates music in direct response to other art forms.
She is a multi instrumentalist (voice, prepared/piano, zither, accordion, lap harp, guitar, percussion and found objects) and has released five CDs of original material.
During the 1980s and 1990s she performed on Melbourne's live music circuit averaging 180-200 gigs a year. From 30s & 40s jazz standards and her original songs, she moved into world-folk, a-cappella, and improvisational music styles. Completing a Bachelor of Education (music) in 1991, Davey went on to co-write, produce, direct and compose large scale music-theatre productions for children from 1992-2004.
In 2007 she relocated to Switzerland and toured with Dodo Hug. Davey founded her Salon Series, began touring with her own world-folk trio and worked as a resident musician for "Playback Theatre Bumerang".
Currently she creates, improvises and performs with several ensembles in the Zürich area: Fleur de Sel; Playback-Theatre der Närrischen Alten and continues her Salon-Series.
In the distant past...
- performed on Melbourne's live music circuit averaging 180-200 gigs a year (1981-1994).
- developed and played repertoire as a soloist and ensemble member in 30s & 40s jazz standards, original works, world-folk, a-cappella styles.
- co-writing, producing directing and composing for large scale musical-theatre productions (1992-2004).
- released debut CD for solo piano From Another Room (2007),
- relocated to Switzerland to tour with Dodo Hug (2007-2008)
- resident musician at Zuerich's Playback Theatre Bumerang (2008-2013).
- deepened improv work with free and experimental projects and performances (2004-2013).
The last decade...
- Salon Series (2010-current), performing my interactive Sound-Paintings with text, visual, movement and theatre artists.
- Released four CDs of original material: Carvings (2011), Translations (2013), March Equinox Album (2014) , June Solstice Album (2014)
- Touring in Australia and Switzerland with Helen Davey Trio (2008-2013)
- Launch of my online cross-arts Project in 2013, 52 sound-paintings
- Devised original repertoire and toured in Switzerland as a duo, Fleur de Sel with Ruth Bieri (2014-current)
- Musician with Zürich based Playback-Theater Ensembles Die Naerrischen Alten (2015 -current) and Sapperlot (2016-2019)
- Currently Studying film composition and audio production at musicube (2019-2020)
Trained and/or worked with these arts practitioners...
David Aebli, Jason Allen, Ingrid Barring, Karen Berger, Ruth Bieri, Brian Brown, Tom Burke, Lisa Call, Efisio Contini, Ian David, Danny Diesendorf, Rachel Dubois, Mavis Durham, Mike Evoy, Rosie Fayman, Jonathan Fox, Karin Gisler, Andrew Gray, Alex Gromeier, Ermie Gruner, Carolyn Hanna, Neil Hodgson, Ella Hofmann, Dodo Hug, Dorte Hyldstrup, Megan Jones, Hilde Knottenbelt, Rebecca Lister, Catherine Magill, Eva Marlin, Brigitte Meyer, Cynthia Morris, Gerry Orkin, Josef Piras, Ferdi Rauber, Sermsah Bin Saad, Alex Sangster, Bob Sedergreen, Tomasz Spiewak, Petrus Spronk, Anne E. Stewart, Christoph Stiefel, Emily Taylor, Lenka Vanderboom, Peter Wanzenried, Brian White, Helga Westmark, Brian White, Al Wunder, Fra Zella.